Works under general supervision to perform specialized clerical work involved in organizing, analyzing, processing, and maintaining operating, financial, statistical, and other specialized reports and records pertaining to departmental functions.
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Education
1. Two (2) years’ experience in appropriate clerical, bookkeeping, data processing or statistical work; and graduation from an accredited high school diploma or possess a GED; OR
2. One (1) year of appropriate clerical, bookkeeping, data processing, or statistical work; and one (1) year of college study (30 semester hours or 36 quarters) from an accredited college or university.
3. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Processes and/or enters pertinent data into the computer or other record format for processing or issuing department specific applications, registrations, permits, licenses, documents, etc.
2. Composes letters, memoranda, reports for review and signature.
3. Greets customers and answers questions by telephone or in person concerning departmental policies, procedures and work functions.
4. Collects fees and other required monetary charges related to department specific services and processes.
5. Maintains and balances cash drawer, if applicable in the processing of applicable fees or other monetary charges; calculates daily revenues received by balancing cash drawers and recording revenue.
6. Receives, reviews and processes records, reports and other various documents as required for accuracy and/or conformance with established policies and procedures.
7. Mails or issues in person department specific authorized documents or materials as required.
8. Files and maintains control records.
9. Obtains data from various sources to prepare and compile standard reports.
10. Operates office machines.
11. Relieves or assists other clerical employees in assigned work area.
12. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
1. Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment; skilled at operating office equipment
2. Ability to become proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel. Familiarity with computerized databases.
3. Knowledge of Business English and math.
4. Ability to communicate with staff and the public with courtesy and tact.
5. Ability to plan, organize, and maintain an even flow of work.
6. Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely and effectively, verbally and in writing.
7. Ability to resolve problem situations.
Shelby County Government