SCHOOL AGE SERVICES – SITE DIRECTOR (FULL-TIME)
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Consistent with the Christian mission and vision of the YMCA of Memphis & Mid-South, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the Regional and/or Area Coordinator, the full-time Site Director is responsible for planning and implementing all activities and executing daily lesson plans for a School Age Before and After School site according to DHS and YMCA policies and procedures. The Site Director will supervise site staff and their activities. The Site Director will be responsible for providing a School Age program that will always ensure the participants’ safety and foster children’s social, physical, spiritual, and mental growth and adheres to YMCA program guidelines and DHS standards. The Site Director will maintain positive relationships with YMCA staff, school staff, and School Age participants. This is a full time position with all of the benefits and responsibilities afforded full time employees of the YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South.
- Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Oversee the operation of a small to medium before/after school site (serving an average of 20-99 students), additionally supporting seasonal camp sites
- Maintain all state and local policies and procedures; adhere to state licensing standards; conduct a licensing inspection at the site
- Implement a daily curriculum that meets YMCA guidelines and direct staff and children in the daily activities outlines; maintain weekly lesson plans, calendars, and daily record keeping including rosters
- Actively lead and engage a group of 15 to 20 (DHS maximum is 20) children in activities outlined by the Area Coordinator either inside or outside program areas and during transition times
- Set up and take down program space so that area is transformed into child-friendly environment; this includes moving, cleaning, picking up and putting back furniture and equipment ensuring program space is left in organized fashion
- Supervise staff including schedules, staff coverage, assist in training and developing group leaders and assistant site directors
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service training as required by the program staff
- Develop and maintain a positive relationship with the school community to include; principals, assistant principals, teachers, and support staff
- Develop and maintain communication with parents that meet DHS requirements; attend and/or conduct parent conferences
- Maintain DHS child care licensing individual files for staff and children and to ensure that they are current and complete according to SOP’s
- Provide communication to families regarding their student and sometimes sensitive matters
- Assist in controlling and maintaining supplies and inventory on site and maintain meal time.
- Participate in YMCA volunteer programs and the Annual Giving Campaign.
- Expected to be mobile across the entire system for fill in.
- Work and support special events
- Help facilitate trainings of part time staff
- Be available for some weekend work
- Carry out special projects and perform office duties as assigned by program staff.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the Y’s efforts for all stakeholders.
Collaboration: Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the Y. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance the Y’s mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves staff at all levels in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Behavioral Characteristics: Welcoming, Nurturing, Determined, Hopeful, and Genuine.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Passion, enthusiasm, and commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA
- An enthusiastic personality with the desire to serve members, volunteers, guests, participants and staff to create a culture of service within our programs
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Must present a professional image and possess conflict resolution skills, and demonstrate sound judgment and initiative
- Must be highly organized with the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Minimum 21 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent and four years of experience in child development or related experience; employee must enroll in Tennessee Early Childhood Training Alliance (TECTA) certificate to complete thirty hours of orientation training, or the equivalent as recognized by the Department within the first year of employment; OR
- Two years of college (30 hours of which shall be in business or management, child or youth development, early childhood education or related field) and two years of experience in a group setting; OR
- Four-year degree and one year of full-time (paid or unpaid) experience in a group setting
Before start of 1st shift:
- New Hire Orientation training
- DHS Background Disclosure Form & Fingerprint appointment
- Abuse Registry Check
- DHS Physical health form
- Proof of education
- Past Employment reference
- DHS TCCOTS “Before you Begin” and “Shaken Baby” training (TN program sites)
- Pre-service training
Within 30 days of hire:
- CPR/First Aid/AED (Infant/Pediatric)
- Must maintain annual training requirements
Flexible work schedule required. The full time work schedule for this position is generally Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 6:00pm, though evenings, and weekends work may be required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to …
- Climbing, sitting, reaching, crouching or crawling, standing, pushing, walking, kneeling, and stooping
- Exposure to electrical/mechanical mechanisms
- Exposure to some chemical elements
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Noise level usually minimal to moderate
INFORMATION SECURITY & SENSITIVITY CONDITIONS:
- This position requires elevated security permissions (administrative) to one or more systems which store or maintain sensitive and/or confidential information
- This position requires access to sensitive and confidential information
- All system activity performed by individuals working in this position is subject to periodic system audits
- This position may be subject to privileged information such as organization changes, staffing changes, security events or other sensitive communications and is expected to protect and keep sensitive or confidential communications and/or information private
- Failure to comply with any security and/or sensitivity related duties as defined in this section will result in disciplinary action which may include termination
The YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South aims to provide quality and safe youth programs for all. We are committed to making a continuous effort to prevent the abuse of children: verbally, physically, emotionally and sexually. All allegations or suspicions of child abuse are taken seriously and will be reported to the State for investigation with full cooperation from the YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South.