Teaching Assistant – Memphis, TN
Reports To – Remote Instructor
Who is Persevere?
Persevere is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering justice-involved individuals through innovative workforce development and career preparation support services that give real access to quality employment in the technology industry. Specifically, Persevere provides technology training, career readiness instruction and support, wraparound case management, individualized job-based mentoring, and job placement services for justice-impacted individuals and people who are at risk for justice-involvement.
Founded by and for people with lived experience with criminal justice, corrections, and poverty, Persevere understands the needs of the justice-impacted population as few organizations can, and our work embodies our commitment to reducing racial inequalities throughout all aspects of society and eliminating disproportionate minority contact and disproportionate minority confinement within the criminal justice system. As we have grown and expanded, we have focused on developing and executing strategies that continue to expand our mission of reducing racial disparities and inequalities, both as part of our work, and as well, our organization’s practices regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
Real Hope. Valuable Skills. Meaningful Opportunity.
The Teaching Assistant works inside the prison classroom monitoring Persevere students as they work through the Persevere Coding Curriculum under the guidance of a remote instructor. This is a full-time, exempt position with excellent benefits. This position requires the ability to pass our client’s background check and drug screen.
- Participate in training as required by assigned facility
- Serve as the on-site “face” of Persevere at the assigned facility
- Ensure the classroom is safe and secure and students adhere to policy
- Ensure setup of A/V equipment for remote instruction and outside guest speakers
- Troubleshoot technical issues that may arise and direct issue to appropriate staff member
- Communicate frequently with the Instructor and the Employment Specialist
- Assist in presentation of Career Readiness materials
- Grade assessments and assignments as required at the direction of the Instructor
- Assist in the completion of reentry paperwork and provide that to the appropriate staff member as required
- Organize and facilitate student interviews with all members of the case team prior to enrollment
- Take attendance
- Complete and submit the Out of Count form per client requirement
- Complete corporate training on a timely basis.
- Assist with the creation of and follow critical Standard Operating Procedures and Workflows
- Participate in cross training staff as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Reliability, the ability to report to work daily
- Reliable transportation to and from the work site
- Ability to work while intermittently sitting and standing for extended periods
- Ability to work independently and effectively with a diverse group of students
- Professional verbal and written communications skills
- Good organizational skills
We highly value
- Passion for and responsibility to the customer/partner
- Must be self-starting, hardworking and inquisitive
- Leadership through innovation in everything you do
- Passion for what you do and being self-reflective to improve
- Relentless commitment to win
- Personal and corporate integrity