PURPOSE AND SCOPE: The incumbent supports Memphis Dermatology Clinic, PA (MDC) by performing nurse duties and responsibilities. The position’s primary purpose and scope is to assist the physician in treatment of patients via direct and indirect patient care according to set policies, procedures, and protocols.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge or abilities associated with this classification, but are intended to accurately reflect the primary job elements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs medical assisting/nurse responsibilities according to set protocols via direct and indirect patient care and to participate in patient education under the supervision of physician, reporting to assigned supervisor and/or administrator.
2. Serves as a representative of the organization and assists patients in preparation for their appointment, rooming patients, documenting reason for visit, etc., utilizing critical thinking skills to determine appropriate intervention and necessary coordination for each visit.
3. Provides patients, families and caregivers assistance in answering questions, providing care, resolving concerns and facilitating smooth access to care through effective communication.
4. Exemplifies, supports and promotes the Memphis Dermatology Clinic, P. A. mission, values and service excellence standards.
5. Provides sound, clinical instructions and education consistent with all professional standards, licensing guidelines and organizational policy/procedures to ensure compliance.
6. Documents all information in patient chart. Enters patient data into patient information management system as directed. Performs chart audits.
7. Ensures all related reports, labs and information is filed and available in patient’s medical record(s) .
8. Able to step in and assist physician in clinic and procedures (biopsies and MOHs) as directed and needed.
9. Responsible for keeping exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintaining instruments, and sterilization as required.
10. Notifies patients of test results (labs, cultures, tissue pathologies); retrieves patient records and eScribes as directed by the physician;
11. Triage patient questions or concerns and schedules patients for referral care to include plastic surgery, oncology and other health related matters as directed by physician;
12. Attends all clinic training and “called meetings” to maintain personal knowledge, meet accreditation responsibilities and maintain requisite skills as required to work as a member of the Memphis Dermatology Clinic, P. A. nursing staff to include but not limited to OSHA, HIPAA , EMA and other staff training.
13. Provides efficient, polite patient care and “customer service” both internally and externally to co-workers, physicians, patients, visitors, vendors and management.
14. Answers all pages, questions and communications relating to patient care and various other inquiries in a courteous, efficient, timely manner.
15. Provides rotational coverage support to assigned areas such as for breaks, lunches and scheduled time off. Successfully cross-trains for other nursing areas to provide rotational coverage.
16. Seeks assistance from higher level personnel or management as needed and works as a member of the medical nursing team to support physicians and provide excellent nursing services to physicians and patients.
17. Other duties as assigned.
High School degree or equivalent education required. RN, LPN, or MA designation preferred.
Requires medical assisting or nursing knowledge, skills and experience normally acquired over five or more years of work experience in a physician office practice and/or a hospital/healthcare related business.
HIPPA PHI Use and Disclosure:
Incumbent has access to patient PHI and TPO information as required to perform duties as assigned. Level of access is full access to patient demographics, chart, online records and any and all PHI and TPO necessary to perform job responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Demonstrate superior communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to coordinate multiple priorities with patients and staff in a medical office setting
· Ability to move smoothly and efficiently from task to task demonstrating strong patient relations, communications, and customer service skills.
· Must be punctual, show good judgment, and initiative
· Possess excellent customer service and telephone skills and the ability to respond quickly, calmly in emergencies and stressful situations with some decision-making involved;
· Possess analytical and organizational skills, good judgment, and initiative
· Knowledge of medical terminology, pharmacy technology (prior auth), medical records and insurance.
· Knowledge of administrative procedures in a medical, hospital or healthcare related business office.
· Demonstrate organizational skills, good judgment, and initiative.
· Ability to develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships.
· Ability to operate a computer, use appropriate medical office software applications and general office equipment.
· Demonstrated proficiency in medical terminology, English, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
· Knowledge of Electronic Medical Record Systems (EMA) preferably within a clinical/physician office setting.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Physical Demands: Requires active work involving frequent standing, walking, balancing, reaching and lifting throughout the day, exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in moving, assisting and adjusting patients during procedures. Must be able to use/assist clinic equipment. Use hands and fingers with eye/hand/foot coordination to walk around office.
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
The district is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the MDC to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
The company does not discriminate in its programs or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, handicap/disability, sex, genetics, or age.
Memphis Dermatology Clinic, PA