PURPOSE AND SCOPE: The incumbent supports Memphis Dermatology Clinic, PA (MDC) by performing reception and patient registration services for MDC’s business department. Assists management by gathering patient demographic information, insurance verification, scheduling appointments, collecting copayments, completing intake paperwork, answering telephone lines, and various other administrative functions related to the patient visit, scheduling appointments and collecting amounts due at time of service.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge or abilities associated with this classification, but are intended to accurately reflect the primary job elements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Assist management as first point of contact coordinating the patient visit from check in to check out. Tracks progress through clinical services providing administrative support and compiles information on the visit recorded in the patient record.
2. Answers questions relating to paperwork, patient visit, coordination of necessary reports, scheduling and various assigned functions. Provides general clerical, file and/or administrative support services for assignments, projects and programs as assigned as a member of the MDC business department.
3. Prints physician schedules, superbills, labels and other applicable forms in preparation for next business day. Pulls and files patient charts. Prepares new patient charts as needed. Prints and files transcription notes. Provides administrative support for Administrator and Physicians as needed.
4. Receives and handles incoming calls. Documents messages and routes to appropriate clinical staff. Transfers calls as necessary. May assist with medical record requests as required for front desk support services.
5. Schedule, reschedule patient’s office appointments, follow-up appointments, diagnostic tests, surgeries and may provide patient with preparation instructions for exams, tests, or surgeries when required. Make reminder calls and confirm patient appointments. Prepare patient referrals to specialty care.
6. Reconcile charge tickets to each day’s schedule, identify incomplete tickets, missing charge codes or missing diagnosis and notifies clinical staff. Forward completed tickets and/or billing package to the business office.
7. Prepare, maintain and/or research information for various reports, correspondence or records as requested. Order supplies and identify issues/problems unique to the reception check in check out function that needs assistance from higher level personnel or management.
8. Provides coverage support to assigned areas such as for breaks, lunches and scheduled and unscheduled time off.
9. Cross-trains in other business office and administrative areas to provide coverage as necessary for business operations and staffing.
10. Seeks assistance from higher level personnel or management as needed and works as a member of the business office team to support MDC administration and physicians and provide excellent business office services to MDC patients.
11. Other duties as assigned.
High School degree or equivalent education. Requires the knowledge administrative procedures in a medical, clinical, hospital or healthcare related business office normally acquired over one or more years of work experience in a healthcare related business and/or physician office practice.
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelor’s Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience.
Master’s Degree= 2 years plus required years of experience. (Where Master’s degrees are required, years for Bachelor’s Degrees must be included.)
HIPPA PHI Use and Disclosure:
Incumbent has access to patient PHI and TPO information as required to perform duties as assigned. Level of access is full access to patient demographics, chart, online records and any and all PHI and TPO necessary to perform job responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Demonstrate superior communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to coordinate multiple priorities while handling face-to-face contact with patients and staff in a medical office setting.
· Knowledge of medical terminology, medical records and insurance.
· Knowledge of administrative procedures in a medical, hospital or healthcare related business office.
· Demonstrate strong patient relations, communications, customer service skills
· Must be punctual, show good judgment, and initiative
· Possess excellent customer service and telephone skills and the ability to respond quickly, calmly in emergencies and stressful situations with some decision-making involved;
· Possess analytical and organizational skills, good judgment, and initiative
· Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
· Ability to operate a computer and use appropriate software applications and peripheral office equipment
· Demonstrated proficiency in business English, grammar, spelling, and punctuation
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment; must be able to use hands and fingers for sign language.
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
The district is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the MDC to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
The company does not discriminate in its programs or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, handicap/disability, sex, genetics, or age.
Memphis Dermatology Clinic, PA