For more than 45 years, Literacy Mid-South has adapted its programs, leadership, and even its name, all while staying true to the vision that inspired its creation in 1974: to bring the gift of literacy to the people of the Mid-South.
The rich history of Literacy Mid-South began with a call to help low-literate adults gain the reading skills needed to reach personal, educational, and professional goals. Later, LMS broadened its mission to include learners of all backgrounds and ages. Today, in addition to continuing its work with adult and student readers, Literacy Mid-South serves as a convener and core collaborator for the broad community of organizations working to improve literacy outcomes in the region. As we approach our 50th anniversary, Literacy Mid-South is positioned to become a regional literacy intermediary, bridging the literacy goals of its cross-sector partners.
Literacy Mid-South seeks a dynamic, passionate Tutor Support Manager to support its Tutor901 program. This position will be the final 3 members on a team of 7 that coordinate on-the-ground logistics of an in-school high-impact literacy tutoring program–managing tutors and working collaboratively with school staff to ensure student-friendly logistics & effective tutoring services for 1st-4th grade students in Memphis-Shelby County Schools and local public charters.
The ideal applicant is an experienced educator, including experience with RTI, and is committed to improving elementary literacy outcomes in the Memphis community. The Tutor Support Manager will oversee a cohort of tutors and report to the Tutor901 Program Director.
This is a one-year, grant-funded position, ending May 2024.
- Manage a cohort of part-time literacy tutors
- Serve as liaison between school staff & tutors
- Assist in tutor hiring process, including recruitment & applicant procurement
- Coordinate communications to participants’ families with the support of school staff
- Work with school staff to develop tutoring schedules & coordinate logistics
- Alongside school staff, compile literacy interventions from the i-Ready tool to facilitate effective tutoring
- Attend professional development workshops
- Provide effective training, observation, modeling, feedback, and retraining support to tutors to ensure program fidelity, effectiveness, and adherence to grant requirements
- Ensure real-time data collection, including attendance and interventions, is effectively captured and submitted
- Develop family-facing foundational literacy activities
- Perform other duties as requested
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years education experience required
- Familiarity with i-Ready
- Proven ability designing and implementing individualized and small group literacy interventions
- Deep knowledge of reading, writing, and literacy development
- Able to communicate effectively to various audiences, such as tutors, school staff, and educators
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and interpersonal skills, including giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Comfortable with using and learning new technology/programs
- Able to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of how to build diversity, equity, and inclusion in advancement functions; culturally and historically competent with respect to issues such as racial, cultural, religious, sexual, ableism, and gender identity.
- Skilled at delivering solutions in evolving, multi-cultural environments
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to meet deadlines
- Able to prioritize and multitask
- Models continual improvement, demonstrates lifelong learning, and applies new learning to empower all learners
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Available to work evenings and weekends if required
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Salary range: $57-62K
- New hires are typically brought into the organization at a salary between the range minimum and the salary range midpoint depending on qualifications, internal equity, and the budgeted amount for the role
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- Competitive benefits (health/dental/vision)
Please send a resume and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.