Clean Memphis is a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating youth, engaging leadership, and empowering communities to sustain a cleaner Memphis. During the 2020-2021 school year, we worked with over 9,000 students to provide standards-based, hands-on environmental science education both virtually and in-person.
Clean Memphis is seeking a full-time certified teacher to deliver high-level curriculum to schools throughout Shelby County and assist with a wide variety of projects and activities that support our overall mission.
Clean Memphis staff works closely together to support our mission. The ideal candidate will complement and bolster our existing relationships.
- Build and maintain relationships at student, teacher, and school levels
- Support schools through the Sustainable Schools Challenge
- Offer high-level, in-class environmental science education programs
- Plan and implement service-learning projects that strongly align to presentation content
- Track data related to educational presentations and service-learning projects
- Assist in the growth and development of the overall education program, including leading and assisting teachers to conduct civic science projects
- Prep and maintain education materials
- Assist with curriculum development
Assist Clean Memphis team as needed with the following:
- Volunteer and project coordination
- Fundraisers and other special events
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Creative problem-solver with a high standard of quality
- Energetic and enthusiastic attitude
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to communicate effectively with a variety of people in a variety of settings, with an emphasis on cultural competency
- Able to teach elementary, middle, and high school students
- Able to work independently while being responsive to the needs of schools and other Clean Memphis staff
- Able to build partnerships and ongoing relationships
- Able to tailor instruction to deliver grade and age-appropriate presentations
- Able to work in a small, fast-paced organization and to be flexible
- Able to work outside on occasion
- Familiar with Memphis history, neighborhoods, and schools (especially Shelby County Schools)
- Familiar with environmental issues and sustainability efforts in Memphis
Qualifications & Requirements
- 4-year bachelor’s degree required
- Teaching experience required
- Teaching certification/license required
- Environmental science background preferred
- Must pass a background check (required by Shelby County Schools)
- Must be able to work outside on occasion
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends (preferred)
The salary for this position is $50,000 per year. We provide stipends for phone and health insurance as well as generous paid time off.
Interested candidates should submit both a resume and cover letter to Michelle Cowan, Director of Education, through our website at www.cleanmemphis.org/careers.
We will be accepting applications through December 2, 2022.