The IRIS Orchestra has announced their 2018-2019 Concert Season!
Saturday concerts will take place at Germantown Performing Arts Center and Sundays at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art. Both series will feature IRIS Orchestra’s guest artists. There will be five concerts in the Saturday orchestral series and four in the Sunday chamber series. IRIS at the Brooks concerts are paired with a featured Brooks Museum art exhibit and reception.
When and where will the concerts take place and who will be performing?
- Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018 at GPAC: Violinist Midori, an international concert artist since her debut with the New York Philharmonic at the age of 11, returns to IRIS Orchestra in a spectacular celebration of the centennial of legendary composer Leonard Bernstein.
- Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018 – IRIS at the Brooks: Midori joins IRIS Orchestra musicians for intimate chamber music by Mozart and Norman as well as solo Bach.
University of Memphis Chorus
- Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018 at GPAC: Familiar, festive compositions meet unexpected revelations in IRIS Orchestra’s holiday collaboration with the University of Memphis Chorus. Mozart and Strauss join composer Christopher Rouse’s imaginative interpretation of Christmas Carols in this musical celebration for the holidays.
- Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019 at GPAC: IRIS Orchestra re-envisions “classic” in a program featuring a brilliant young classical accordion virtuoso, Hanzhi Wang. Bach’s Harpsichord Concerto No. 1 redefined, and Tchaikovsky’s Serenade for Strings.
- Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019 – IRIS at the Brooks: Ms. Wang joins IRIS Orchestra musicians in chamber music by Piazzola as well as solo Bach.
- Saturday, March 16, 2019 at GPAC: Pianist Inon Barnatan returns to join IRIS Orchestra in Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 3. Barnatan is the first Artist-in-Association of the New York Philharmonic. Also on the program are symphonies by Haydn and Cowell.
- Sunday, March 17, 2019 – IRIS at the Brooks: Mr. Barnatan performs Beethoven with IRIS Orchestra musicians as well as solo Bach.
- Saturday, April 27, 2019 at GPAC: IRIS Orchestra features Dvorak’s Violin Concerto with Itamar Zorman, top prize winner at the 2011 International Tchaikovsky Competition. The orchestra will be showcased in the rarely-performed Serenade No. 1 by Brahms.
- Sunday, April 28, 2019 – IRIS at the Brooks: Mr. Zorman performs Mendelssohn with IRIS Orchestra musicians as well as solo Bach.
Season subscriptions are available now by calling 901-751-7669. Single tickets will go on sale August 20.