Guest post by Fabiola Cervantes, Latino Memphis Public Relations & Digital Content Manager.
In Memphis we have some exciting ways to show your support and experience the richness of the cultures represented in our city.
Nearly thirty years ago, President Ronald Reagan extended Hispanic Heritage from a week to a month-long celebration. Each year, from September 15 – October 15 we celebrate the vibrant traditions, culture and history of Hispanic Americans. This includes people who have roots in a Spanish-speaking country, from our neighbors down south in Mexico to the motherland, Spain. As we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, it is essential that we celebrate the achievements and contributions of the Hispanic community in Memphis and work together to break down barriers and maintain the ladder of opportunity available for all.
Ways to celebrate by supporting:
1. Support local Latino-owned businesses.
2. Support nonprofits that serve the Hispanic community like Latino Memphis, Centro Cultural Latino de Memphis, Mid-South Immigration Advocates, Community Legal Center, Las Americas and many others.
3. Have you seen Memphis’ hispanic community news outlets? Check out La Prensa Latina, La Raza, and Memphis Noticias. You can also join Latino Memphis’ email list to stay engaged and learn how to become an advocate for immigrants.
4. Support the Mid-South Latino Chamber of Commerce
5. Become a Caminos Mentor and inspire Hispanic youth and help them achieve their
academic & career goals.
6. Hire local Hispanic talent and add Latino flavor to your events.
7. Attend Prisma, Latino Memphis’ Second Annual LGBTQ+ Mid-South Pride fiesta and stand with the Hispanic LGBTQ+ community at the Mid-South Pride Parade & Festival.
8. Experience the artistic expression of local hispanic artists
9. Attend Cazateatro’s Día de los Muertos Parade and Festival October 7th at the Brooks
10. Attend Latino Memphis’ Day of the Dead Fiesta fundraiser October 27th at The Columns.
11. Support your friends, neighbors, and students pursue their right to work and contribute to the country they call home by supporting the Dream Act of 2017.
We invite you to celebrate by supporting our local Hispanic community that is helping our city thrive. By working together, we can ensure that all Memphians have the opportunity to reach their full potential and add to the beautiful diversity that makes our city stronger.