Here you will find an introduction to the person who is called Courtney Billions. Incredibly basic and standard facts about myself include:
- I believe in the art of list making, because it helps the passionate and yet scatterbrained get stuff done.
- I am a creative writing major at the University of Memphis with a minor in women and gender studies.
- I was born and raised in Memphis, TN.
- I attended the University of Tennessee, Knoxville for most of my undergrad and left with an appreciation for the outdoors, which I never foresaw my house-cat-like personality obtaining.
- If I am not running my mouth, I am listening to sad music, a podcast about true crime or the Enneagram, or watching the BBC.
- I work at Muddy’s Bakeshop with my bomb Gnomie co-workers. These beautiful people are my best friends.
- Melissa Broder, Ann Sexton, Susan Minot, Sylvia Plath, Rebecca Solnit, Maya Angelou, Chelsea Martin, Meghan Daum are a few of my homegirls.
- I work for the Pinch (MFA Literary Journal at The University of Memphis).
- I am also the editor and social media manager for IQ Consulting, which is a cross-cultural company that aids to the business side of small businesses/entrepreneurs out there, along with STS Repair, which is a tech repair shop in the U.S. and Mexico.
- You can typically find me typing away or with my nose in a book at one of my rotating coffee shops (Otherlands, Belltower Artisans, Inspire Community Coffee, or occasionally a Starbucks… because I, too received 37 gift cards for Christmas and I am a broke college student, okay?)
- I like to drink most of the liquids (i.e. crappy coffee, craft beer because that is hipster, diet ginger beer, overpriced kombucha, herbal teas to calm my soul, orange juice because vitamins, etc.)
- I am super passionate about Equality and Mental Illness Awareness. Hopefully, those topics bleed through my work.
- My favorite poem is “Pied Beauty” by Gerard Manley Hopkins from which generated my interest in reading and writing poetry because I felt seen in his words.
- I have Vitiligo which is simply pigment discoloration of the skin, so I have always physically stood out in a crowd. I owe my large personality and advocacy for anti-bullying campaigns to my birthmark.
- My least favorite shape is one of a cookie cutter.
- I read the Twilight Saga 20 plus times between 8th and 9th grade. Those were some very interesting years of puberty.
- I applied for this internship with the intentions of sharing my love for this dang beautiful city and exposing its underrated bits with the internet.