#GivingTuesdayNow is a global day of giving and unity that will take place on May 5, 2020, as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19. This is no ordinary fundraiser—you can participate in dozens of ways, including bird-watching with the Overton Park Conservancy or singing a song with the Memphis Music Initiative.
#GivingTuesday has been celebrated for 9 years on the Tuesday following Black Friday. That tradition will continue, but on Tuesday, May 5th, with #GivingTuesdayNow, Memphians can celebrate generosity in response to COVID-19.
Many nonprofits have already experienced as much as a 60% loss of income due to the pandemic—nonprofits that care for our community in thousands of different ways.
#GivingTuesdayNow is a response to that reality as well as a call to celebrate the good we see around us. It is an opportunity for all of us to band together, spark grassroots generosity, encourage civic engagement, and show support for communities and local nonprofits. And as a city known for its giving, we’re looking at you to show out, Memphis.
We have already seen Memphians put on incredible displays of love, joy, and unity from cheering on healthcare workers at shift changes to supporting local businesses who are taking hard hits right now. Schools, with teachers at the helm, have expertly pivoted to online learning in order to continue educating young Memphians. Nonprofit organizations have radically shifted their efforts to meet the immediate needs of those most vulnerable.
This is the spirit of #GivingTuesdayNow. This is what we’re excited to see more of.
Need ideas? We’ve got some just for you.
Local organizations are sharing their unique needs and opportunities for #GivingTuesdayNow—everything from birds to volunteers to YOUR singing abilities:
- National Civil Rights Museum: From their virtual platforms, the National Civil Rights Museum continues to be the voice for many who have no voice. Help to support their essential work to educate and serve as a catalyst to inspire action to create positive social change. Consider supporting this important cause on #GivingTuesdayNow.
- Overton Park Conservancy: The beloved Midtown park will take social media followers through some behind the scenes bird watching in the Old Forest State Natural Area. As this week will be the height of spring migration through our area, we’re likely to see the near 65 species! With the spotting of each new species, viewers can donate funds to help maintain this critical wildlife habitat in the middle of the city. Be sure to follow @overtonpark to participate in their virtual birding day!
- Operation Broken Silence: OBS raises support for Sudanese-led programs that empower relief efforts in that country. In response to COVID, they have faced a significant loss of donations and had to postpone their annual gala, Soirée For Sudan, leaving them with an immediate $25,000 fundraising gap. For #GivingTuesdayNow you can help them meet their goal and close that gap by becoming one of 50 new monthly supporters for their teachers.
- World Relief Memphis: WR brings sustainable solutions to the greatest problems faced by immigrants and refugees. Help them continue to provide program participants with the essential resources they need by donating to their $20,000 goal here!
- Memphis Music Initiative: You’d better start warming up those pipes if you want to participate in MMI’s #HoldingTheNote challenge. MMI is “holding the note” to continue supporting youth, creators, and the creative community. They’re calling YOU to join the movement on social media. Whether your inspiration is Whitney Houston, Donna Summers, or Ariana Grande—make them proud as you participate by recording and posting a video of you #HoldingTheNote! Be sure to tag @mmusicinitiative and use the hashtags #HoldingTheNote and #GivingTuesdayNow!
- Make-A-Wish Midsouth: Make-A-Wish Midsouth is still granting wishes and needs our support to continue creating life-changing wishes for sick kids in Memphis. Recently they were able to grant Deonna her wish—a blue electric guitar! Help them reach their #GivingTuesdayNow goal of $20,000 to continue granting wishes. Oh, and hey, Deonna, we’d love to see you share a video participating in MMI’s campaign #HoldingTheNote with that sweet new guitar!
- Memphis Family Connection Center: The MFCC offers holistic clinical and community care for courageous children and families, focusing on therapy and training for adoptive and foster families. They’ll use donations from #GivingTuesdayNow to purchase diapers and formula for the Shelby County DCS and provide mental health support for families.
- Streets Ministries: Located Downtown and in Highland Heights, STREETS engages, encourages, and equips youth to achieve their potential through athletic and academic programs. For #GivingTuesdayNow they’ve launched a movement of thanks called ‘Faces of STREETS,’ recognizing some of the individuals who contribute mightily to their organization and community. Their call to action for you? Be a part of the solution: show your support and rally to do some good!
- St. Jude: Our local miracle makers will host a four-hour livestream featuring music, art, dance, food, and fun, from 1-5pm for #GivingTuesdayNow. Their idea is to encourage us all to “Take Five Together #forStJude,” and celebrities will include Michael Strahan, Drew Barrymore, and Chadwick Boseman, along with St. Jude patients and families. Join them on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and consider supporting this life-saving organization that has surely had to cancel many, many fundraising events over the last 50 days.
- Memphis Athletic Ministries: MAM’s vision is to see identity found, hope restored, and lives changed. Help them continue that mission by becoming a monthly donor, affectionately known as “MAM MVPs.”
- Memphis Rox: Turns out, teaching people to scale rock walls creates a pretty great environment for teaching them how to scale the walls created by different cultural, racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds. Make a contribution to Memphis Rox to help them continue serving their community and sustain their gym once they reopen.
- Memphis Opportunity Scholarship Fund: MOST Memphis strives to give Memphis families the opportunity to send their children to the schools of their choice. Make a donation to help provide need-based scholarships that secure educational consistency in the lives of hundreds of Memphis-area children.
Remember that #GivingTuesday and #GivingTuesdayNow celebrates ALL kinds of gifts: kindness, volunteer time, encouragement, and financial. You can also check on an elderly neighbor, make a poster to thank our essential workers, have a meal delivered to a healthcare professional, or make sidewalk chalk art to encourage your neighbors.
Also, don’t forget all the ways you can sign up to volunteer.
Show us how you decide to give and tag @choose901 on social media!