There’s nothing like diving into a new read on a summer day. But for many Memphis kids, reading and access to books doesn’t come so easily. In fact, 1 in 4 kids don’t have books in their home—and that’s not going to cut it.
Seriously, it’s urgent! Students lose more than two months of learning over the summer—when more than a quarter of students in Memphis aren’t reading on grade level, access to books in their home makes a BIG difference for staying on track this summer.
But GET THIS: When children have a home library of as little as 20 books, they achieve 3 more years of schooling than children who don’t have any books at home!
This is your opportunity to join the movement and help kids go the distance, one book at a time. Here’s how:
JOIN THE SUMMER READING CHALLENGE
- This summer, join Coaching for Literacy’s Summer Reading Challenge and push your reading habits by committing to read as many books as YOU can by September 7th.
- You can choose to fundraise in support of the fight for literacy by inviting friends and family to pledge per book read or with a flat donation.
- Bonus – every gift made will be matched 3x up to $5,000!
PUT BOOKS IN THE HANDS OF LOW-INCOME STUDENTS
- You can give books to children across Memphis by donating a Give901 Summer Learning Kit.
- With your help, Give901 will distribute Kits stocked with books and learning supplies to help hundreds of kids thrive this summer.
- $25 provides a Kit for an entire summer of learning!