The soft and soulful sounds of jazz will return to the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library for an encore season of Five Fridays of Jazz.
“Memphis Public Libraries is glad to be a convener of the arts, conversation and stellar programs that strengthen communities. Five Fridays of Jazz was such an overwhelming success last year that it was an easy decision to bring it back for another year,” said Director of Libraries Keenon McCloy. “We encourage everyone to come out and enjoy these exciting shows at the Library.”
Five Fridays of Jazz is a free concert series running March 3rd through April 28th in collaboration with the Levitt Shell, Memphis Public Libraries and the Memphis Library Foundation. Doors open at 6 PM each night. A cash bar and food will be available each night also for the following events:
- Where: Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, 3030 Poplar Avenue
- March 3 – Reach Forever Quintet
- March 17 – The International Jazz Twins (Carl & Alan Maguire)
- March 31 – Women of Jazz with Joyce Cobb & the Rhodes College Jazz Orchestra (with an opening performance by Stax Music Academy Jazz Ensemble)
- April 14 – The “(Re)Birth of Cool” with The University of Memphis Birth of Cool Ensemble
- April 28 – The Legends of Jazz Ensemble with Dr. Bill Hurd In March, Women’s Appreciation Month, customers can expect the start of standing-room-only performances topped by the Women of Jazz and Joyce Cobb.
- More great nights of music are planned for Jazz Appreciation Month in April.