Japanese Maple Grafting Experience at Spirit Hill Maple Nursery
Come join us under the maples and learn the art of grafting. Learn, practice and have the opportunity to graft one of your very own!
About this event
What: Small group Japanese Maple grafting instruction, specifically veneer grafting, on green japanese maple rootstock. Participant s will get the opportunity to practice the art of grafting, and then after practicing choose a scion from one of the 25+ Japanese Maple cultivars that are grown at Spirit Hill Maples and graft and take home their own tree.
Where: Spirit Hill Maple Nursery, 9236 Herring Hill Rd. Shelby Forest, TN
When: Weekend mornings from September 3 through October 2, 8:15 – 10:30 am.
What is included:
- tour of Japanese Maple Nursery, with information about the more than 25 different types and their characteristics, as well as our grafting success with them!
- learn veneer grafting through instruction, demonstration, and assisted practice
- practice grafting before actually performing the grafting process themselves on their own Japanese maple rootstock.
- learn how to select and cut your own scion for grafting from one of our 25 cultivars, and
- take home your newly grafted tree with instructions on how to care for it.
A light, continental breakfast will be served on the front porch starting at 8:15, program begins promptly at 8:30.
All tools, supplies and safety equipment for grafting are provided for use during the class only.
As we will be enjoying the benefits of being among the trees, all classes will take place outside in the shade of our American Red Maples, and, as needed, fans and air misters will be used to help keep us cool.
Warning: This activity will be outdoors. Walking and standing are required for periods of up to a half hour. Cutting is required for grafting, which requires some hand strength, and exposes one to potential injury. Safety equipment will be provided, but adequate care should be taken, and a waiver of responsibility will be required.