Things are still moving in Memphis, even if it’s from the confines of our own homes! Our community has gotten crafty with how we go about making connections, and how we’re embracing this new way of life—so much that many Memphians are taking to the internet to provide a number of ways for you to digitally do life in the “M.”
Friday, April 3
- Lonely at home? Put your imagination to the test as you create your very own quarantine, clay critter during Creatively Quarantined Crittermaking with Beck Zee.
- The Flourish Studio Virtual Pop-Up, happening from 4PM-8PM, features eight local makers who could use your support!
- The only thing better than a whiskey tasting at a pub is a whiskey in your own home! Celtic Crossing is hosting a Virtual Whiskey Tasting with owner DJ Naylor on Saturday, April 4th, but Friday’s the day to get all of your goods. Purchase your tickets, and see all the deets here.
Saturday, April 4
- It’s the 52nd anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s death, and the National Civil Rights Museum invites you to honor his life during the “Remembering MLK: The Man. The Movement. The Moment” Virtual Commemoration which will include a performance by the MLK50 Legacy Choir, spoken word by Ed Mabrey, a children’s story time featuring the book, Martin’s Big Words, and more. The ceremony begins at 5PM, and will be streamed on the museum’s website, YouTube, Facebook, and Livestream platforms. *Poets are invited to submit their original poem in tribute to Dr. King by April 4via social media using the hashtag #RememberingMLK and tagging @ncrmuseum so their poems maybe shared on the museum’s social channels.*
- Get in losers, we’re going shopping! The Memphis Modern Market is hosting a pop-up market for you to shop from the comfort of your own home. From jewelry and candles to vintage wears and handmade ceramics—and a special giveaway curated by all 13 makers, you’re bound to find something that’ll take away the “You Gotta Be At Home” blues.
Ongoing Virtual Events:
- Even though you can’t spend time at the Dixon, you can still… spend time at the Dixon thanks to #DixonFromHome! There are virtual tours of the garden, art challenges to participate in, and their hosting fun games and even more experiences on Instagram and Facebook.
- Who will walk away with a gold medal after the first-ever ZOOlympics? Tune into the Memphis Zoo’s Instagram all week to watch the games go down!
- Order some local BBQ, pour yourself a glass of wine, and settle in for a movie that marries the two. Uncorked was recently released on Netflix, and it’s a Memphis movies you won’t want to miss.
- I know we’re all disappointed that Opera Memphis can’t wow us with their pop-up performances right now, but starting April 1st, their taking to the virtual world to share their talents with you during 30 Days of Digital Opera.
- Indie Memphis has got all you need to enjoy the incredible work of local filmmakers. Rent movies, join the Indie Movie Memphis Movie Club, or join the Tuesday Q&A sessions with special guests!
- Memphis’ Pink Palace Museum has designed a Museum to Go, complete with a planetarium show, “The Sun, Our Living Star.”
- Check out what’s happening at the Memphis Zoo….from your couch! Follow their Facebook page and tune in as they go live with animal encounters.
- Don’t get too comfy on that couch! Keeping active is good for the mind, body, and soul—and David Quarles is hosting Zumba classes via Zoom livestream.
View this post on Instagram
Starting this week!🌿 Afternoon all!! In response to your requests, I’ve worked on a schedule and pricing structure for our livestream classes! 🌿 This new structure will help us stay accountable and motivated, ease the pricing and signing-up process, all while practicing responsible social distancing now that it’s more important than ever. All information is detailed in the flyer, and please follow the instructions carefully to make this new process work for both you and me – I don’t want anyone missing out on classes 🤗. **for drop-ins, it is still very important for you to indicate by email which day you’d like to attend class.** Please spread the word, and let’s power through this, keeping our overall wellness a priority!✨🕺🏽✨ #zumbawithdavidq #zumbavirtual . . . . . . . . . . #wearememphis #bringyoursoul #choose901 #mensfashion #memphis #virtualfitness #zumbafitness #menstyle #fashionstyle #igdaily #memphis #love #dance #community #zumbafitness #styleiswhat #memphisinfluencer #memphisblogger #socialdistancingworkout #memfitmag #mensfashionreview #menwithstyle #artist #latinx #encouragement #empowerment #dancer #stayhome #stayhealthy
- Tired of the same old home workouts? Change it up, because the Kroc Center is providing virtual classes for free. You can try HIIT, Barre, Meditation, and more from your living room (or your back patio–we’re here for this weather!)
- Bring some of our city’s top notch eats straight to your table with a Virtual Food Tour led by City Tasting Tours. Not only will you be filling your tummies during this 1.5 hour experience, but you’ll hear from our phenomenal, local restauranteurs who want to share their passions with you as you settle in for a delightful dinner for two. Pre-order your Virtual Tour Experience for $65.99 which includes dinner from 3 South Main restaurants, plus no contact delivery for Shelby County residents. Deliveries begin April 11th.
- All that couch camping can’t being doing your body good. What you need is a good stretch to work all those kinks out. Bendy Beast Fitness is going live on Zoom with free classes that not only include flexibility training, but strength training, mat pilates, and more.
- Now’s the time for some indulgence! Phillip Ashley is going live on IG with a chocolate and wine tasting every Friday at 6PM, and you’re invited to join on the fun! Just purchase your tasting kit online, and they’ll handle the rest.
- Spend time vibing with Memphis Jone$ as he spins on Elmertha from the Central Station Hotel. Live sets schedules every Wednesday at 2PM, and every Friday at 7PM.
- When you can’t escape your home, you can at least escape a Memphis Escape Room! Their new Print & Play games ($10/game) let you bring the mystery and fun of an escape room into your own home. They may be specifically designed for students in grade K-12, but who says adults can’t get in on the good times? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- In need of some feel good tunes that’ll keep you vibing? Night Park is making his Future-Everything debut with the release of Outside Love. Find a teaser here, and experience the whole she-bang when it’s released on all streaming platforms starting Friday, April 3.
- Since I’ve streamed her music almost back-to-back for the past three mornings in a row, it feels necessary to show my girl Jordan Occasionally some love. She serving up that kind of soulful sound that’ll help you kick-off your day, or close out your night with ease.
- Because good tunes can get us through the toughest of times, we thank the heavens for local music lovers who love to create playlists. For example, currently, you can’t, or shouldn’t, have a photoshoot in Crosstown Concourse—but you can bring a bit of that flavor back home with you by listening to the Concourse playlist curated by The Daily Memphian’s Jared Boyd.
- If you want to keep on theme with the weirdness of our current situation, Ezra Wheeler of Memphis Rock ‘n’ Soul Museum has created a playlist of of “cheeky-titled Memphis tunes,” featuring songs like “Fever” “Solitary Man,” and more.
We’ll be adding to this list as we go! If you know of any virtual happenings going down this week, let us know in the comments!
Friday, March 27
- Attend Get Live! Memphis, the first, local Virtual Music Festival. Who knew that attending a virtual music festival would be something we’d be crossing off our bucket lists ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I Love Memphis and Memphis Tourism have partnered to host Get Live! Memphis, a three-day Facebook Live event that will features a number of talented Memphis musicians, and act as a fundraiser for for Music Export Memphis‘ COVID-19 Response Fund.
- Skipping date night? Think again. Fit4Mom is hosting a virtual game night so you can tuck the kids in bed and enjoy some time with your boo.
Saturday, March 28
- See Memphians spill it with the Spillit Slam. Now more than ever, we’ve all got a story worth sharing—and Spillit Memphis is providing a platform for you to do so. They’re coming at you live from the Ixora podcast studio, and whether you share a story or lend your ear as a listener, it’ll be cathartic experience for all.
View this post on Instagram
Are you ready to Spillit!? Ready for the Madness!? We are going ahead with our event on March 28th. It will be streamed live from the Ixora podcast studio. How does that work? If you want to tell a story we are going to ask you to "Put your name in the hat" by filling out a google form to enter. In this form, we are going to ask you for a Skype username or phone number. On the night of the show, we are going to select someone randomly from the entries. Gil Worth calls you, patches you into the feed and you tell your story. You've got seven minutes! Go! We will do at least 10 or however many we feel like beyond that. Audience Members! You need to participate too. We will have an audience question for the night. If you are in the audience you can message your answer to the Spillit Facebook page or DM to the Instagram @spillitmemphis or Twitter @Spillitmemphis. After all the stories are complete we will post an online poll to see who the winner of the evening is. We are asking for donations for the show. Suggested donation of 10.00 or pay what you can or just watch for free. Not much we can do about that. Our main goal for the show is to get our Spillit community together as best we can. All while trying to support our new Home Ixora and the makers they give space to. Venmo @PODMEM Cash App $PODMEM Paypal email@example.com If are interested in telling a story please submit the google form (link in the bio.)
Monday, March 30
- Peter Pan is calling for all lost boys (and girls) to join him as he reads J.M. Barrie’s classic play and teaches choreography to “I Won’t Grow Up.” Join the fun from Playhouse on the Square on YouTube or Facebook Live.
- Use Memphis as your canvas for Brooks Museum’s Virtual Chalkfest 2020! Create sidewalk art during the week of March 30- April 3, and tag @brooksmuseum on Instagram plus use the hashtag #Chalkfest2020 for a chance to be featured on their site and social media.
Tuesday, March 31
- Novel Memphis is hosting Storytime with Miss Marjorie for kiddos age 0-5. Join Miss Marjorie on Facebook Live for singing, dancing, reading, and fun!
- Arrow Creative is home to many talented retailers, but all that magic starts somewhere else. During the Positively Creative Quarantined Convo with Hard Knot Designs you’ll step into their home studio for a coffeehouse style convo that might just stoke that creative flame that’s always been inside you.
Thursday, April 2
- I, too, have found myself captivated by the bizarre story of the Tiger King—and if you’re like me, you should test yourself during Tiger King Trivia with Cerrito Trivia.