The Crosstown Arts Artist Residency program is an opportunity for artists to worry a little less about the necessities and focus on creating new work.
Whether you are Memphis-based or would like to visit Memphis to experience a different creative scene, Crosstown Arts will support you with free housing, studio workspace, meals, and more so that you can dedicate yourself to your work.
They are now accepting applications for all 2020 residencies and artists of all disciplines —visual, musicians, writers, performing artists, etc.,— are invited to apply.
- Residents are given free living space that includes a private bedroom and bathroom, and a shared common area and kitchen. There are also housing options for families as well as accessible housing for residents with disabilities. You also get a private studio workspace at no cost, but you have to cover your own studio materials and your travel expenses.
- Meals are provided five days a week:
- Shared Art-Making Access
- Residents are given a membership, for the duration of their residency, to Crosstown Arts’ on-site shared art-making workspace. This facility includes a range of analog and digital fabrication and production resources, including a woodshop, multiple CNC/laser cutters, a Mac-based computer lab, a large-format digital printing service, a silkscreen/print shop, a small recording studio, and an individual editing bay for video/audio production.
- Public Events and Networking
- Crosstown Arts hosts public events throughout the year to invite the community to meet the artists and experience their work. Residents are encouraged to participate in artist talks, public performance/projects, and open studio events.
Three-month residency sessions
- Spring: February 1-April 30
- Fall: September 15-December 15
- Summer: June 3-24
- Summer: July 8-29
*Can be attended consecutively.
10-Month Visual Arts Residency
- One visual arts, studio-only, 10-month residency is available per year.
Crosstown Arts offers select sponsored and specialized residencies each year as part of the application process.
How To Apply
Anyone 21 years of age or older is welcome to apply. There are no specific project requirements for accepted residents who are encouraged to experiment and explore new ideas or further develop current work already in process.
Applications for 2019 residencies will be accepted through July 15, 2018. A link to apply can be found on Crosstown Arts’ website.
If you are in the immediate area and would like to learn more about the residency and get pointers on how to submit a strong application, you can attend the Crosstown Arts Artist Residency Info Session on June 26th.