Creative Works is hosting a 12-week creativity workshop for artists who are eager to learn something new.
Creative Works Design Bootcamp is a 12-week intensive, project-based course in design and communication. This Bootcamp will take place from July 11 – September 30, 2017. You will learn the fundamentals of creative problem solving, define, build, and launch a real campaign to solve a real problem that you see in your communities. This course is designed to give you real-world project experience while building creative skill sets.
The bootcamp is the equivalent of two college semesters packed into less time than one, and is taught by top creative leaders in Memphis. As a student participating in this experience, you will have direct access to course instructors for in-person advice and feedback throughout the course. All software and materials are included. All you will need is a computer.
- Cost: $500*
- This pilot course is the first of its kind for Creative Works, and the first of its kind in Memphis. We know we’re going to learn a lot along the way, so the course is deeply discounted and will be limited to only 12 individuals. *discounted from $1,980
- Dates: July 11 – September 30, 2017 (12 weeks)
- Every Tuesday & Thursday night from 6-9pm.
- Deadline: Application deadline is Monday, June 12, 2017.
This course is for you if you have…
- an interest in learning practical design skills
- a background in marketing without hands-on design instruction
- a position requiring you to create promotional materials or social media content
- little or no prior experience with design software
- the desire to know how to solve problems and accelerate change using creativity and design
- Your own laptop capable of running Adobe Creative Cloud (software will be provided; see if your computer meets the system requirements)
- Basic computer literacy
- Reliable transportation to and from downtown Memphis
- Ability to miss no more than one session over the 12 weeks
- Week 1: The Intro
Discover how to approach a problem with design thinking, using empathy, research, creativity, and prototyping.
- Week 2: The Basics
Learn the building blocks of design as a whole, and begin exploring Adobe Creative Cloud software.
- Week 3: The Principles
Understand the fundamentals of balance, pattern, and symmetry, and get more hands-on with the design tools.
- Week 4: The Composition
Learn how to effectively combine elements like typography, color, and imagery into complete compositions.
- Week 5: The Story
Explore basics of effective written communication based on variables like audience, voice, and values.
- Week 6: The Problem
Develop a creative brief to define a real problem you want to help solve with design, and continue building your software skills.
- Week 7: The Voice
Research your target audience to develop a compelling and clear voice for your message.
- Week 8: The Brand
Understand how to create visual elements that resonate with your audience and collectively reflect your core message.
- Week 9: The Campaign
Design and assemble various visual and verbal elements into a cohesive campaign.
- Week 10: The Web
Understand how to translate your campaign elements to the web for to promote and distribute your message online.
- Week 11: The Collateral
Finalize designs and pieces of communication across all platforms including print, web, and social.
- Week 12: The Solution
Give and receive critical feedback from classmates and instructors to help finalize your campaign.
- Final: The Launch
Present your campaign and creative process to the Creative Works community, including potential employers and supporters.